Duration of the Programme
The Programme will run for a period of 4 years for 8 semesters
Mode of study
Full time and part-time via IODEL
- Institutions of higher learning
- Government ministries
- Cooperative sector and banks
- Research institutions
- Non-governmental organizations
- Self-employment as a consultant
Disaster Risk Management and Sustainable Development course is designed to equip graduates, with knowledge to identify, analyse, assess and successfully manage disaster risks for sustainable development.
The goals of the programme are:
- Provide a rich educational experience which will enable graduates to enter and succeed in different fields of employment and career.
- develop graduates with capacity to apply knowledge to contribute to disaster risk reduction at high levels of policy formulation and implementation;
- Create keen interest in learners to pursue avenue for personal development lifelong learning.
- Through application of innovative teaching approaches develop graduates with critical, and explorative mind who are able think and articulate issues in disaster risk management and sustainable development;
- Contribute in developing a pool of professionals in the country to manage increasing intensity and frequency of disasters in the country
Admission and Qualifications
Candidates wishing to study for bachelor of Disaster Management and Development must satisfy any of the following minimum requirements for the university and faculty of commerce requirements for admission.
- Be a holder of KCSE (or equivalent examination) certificate with a minimum aggregate of C+ and a minimum of C in both Mathematics and English or Kiswahili,
- Be a holder of KACE certificate with a minimum of two principal passes and a minimum of a credit pass in Mathematics at KCE,
- Be a holder of a relevant diploma with a credit pass that is recognized by the University senate.
- Be a holder of any other qualification accepted by senate as equivalent to any of the above.
- The university and faculty regulations shall apply.
No candidate shall be registered for the bachelor of Disaster Management and Development without satisfying the minimum university requirement
- Credit transfer will be allowed only from accredited institutions and programmes in line with CUE guidelines.
- Credit transfer will only be permitted to a maximum of 49% of the core units for similar programmes at the same level.