The Co-operative University College of Kenya, formerly Co-operative College of Kenya was established through the Co-operative University College of Kenya Order, Legal Notice NO. 161 of 4th November, 2011 as a constituent College of Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology. The University College aims at becoming a leading center of academic excellence in co-operative education, research, training and community service in Kenya and the region.
The University College is conveniently located approximately 20km from Nairobi City Centre in Karen, a very conducive environment for serious academic engagement and learning.
The University College Council seeks to recruit suitable candidates to fill in the position of Deputy Principal Finance, Planning and Administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Deputy Principal (Finance, Planning and Administration) will be one of the principal assistants to the University College Principal and will be the head of Finance, Planning and Administration Division and shall be responsible for human resource, administrative, financial, and infrastructural and development matters which will include;
- Co-ordination, development and implementation of sound financial, administrative policies and strategies in order to realize the Strategic Objectives of the University College in accordance with the University College Master Plan and Strategic Plan;
- Organizing and directing the administration and financial aspects of the University College;
- Maintaining efficiency and good order of the University College and ensuring proper enforcement of the Statutes and Regulations;
- Providing innovative and creative leadership in the areas of finance, human resources, planning, infrastructural development and community linkages;
- Performing other duties as may be assigned by the Principal and the University College Council from time to time.
The successful candidate shall be responsible for ensuring that the Finance, Planning and Administration Division operate effectively and efficiently in line with the vision and the mission of the University College.
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants should meet the following requirements:-
- Must possess an earned PhD and be a Professor or Associate Professor of a recognized University;
- Must have at least seven (7) years of Academic, Administrative and Research experience at Senior level in a recognized University;
- Must have substantively held Senior Administrative posts such as Principal/Deputy Principal in a University / University College or Director /Deputy Director of an Institute/ Directorate/ Campus or Dean of a Faculty/School or Chairperson of a Department in a recognized University for at least one full term.
- Must be a recognized scholar as evidenced by number of supervised postgraduate students, attracted research grants/awards, recent publications in internationally recognized journals and or University level books.
- Must have a good understanding of Government financial, human resource and procurement policies;
- Must be familiar with national, regional and global trends in higher education;
- Must demonstrate competence in administrative, financial and academic leadership in an academic/research environment;
- Must have a good track record of successful change management;
- Must demonstrate proven experience in development and implementation of Strategic Plan, Development Plan and Master Plan.
- Show good understanding and commitment to the University College coupled with a passion for the promotion of learning, excellence in teaching, research and innovation with the highest ethical standards, integrity and professionalism.
- Must have excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrate ability in networking, linkages, fundraising, resource mobilization and fund management;
- Must meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution;
- Applicants who possess a Masters degree in Business Administration will have an added advantage.
- Applicants whose areas of specialization are relevant to the following core areas of the University College (Cooperative Management, Organizational Development, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Agricultural Engineering, Business Entrepreneurship and Management) will also have an added advantage.