Provide co-operative education and training.
Undertake research in co-operative movement.
Develop and review syllabuses and curricular for education and training.
Provide consultancy services in co-operative management and other development areas.
Conduct examinations and award diplomas, certificates and other academic awards of the college.
Promote the development and expansion of opportunities for continuing education in Co-operative management and finance.
Examine and make proposals for the establishment of constituent training centers, departments and facilities.
Collaborate with other national and international co-operative colleges, and universities and other institutions in the field of co-operative education and training, in research and consultancy services and other exchange programs.
LEADERSHIP AND GOVERNANCE
The Governance of the University is vested in five key organs; The Chancellor, The Council, University Management Board, The Senate and the Students Union. The Chancellor, UMB, Senate and students union are appointed as per the University Charter, Universities act and statutes The Council is appointed by Cabinet Secretary MOE, and comprises of a Chairperson, five independent members, two Principal Secretaries from MOE, and The National Treasury, and a third one who is co-opted from the Ministry in charge of Co-operatives due to the specialized mandate of the University.The Vice Chancellor (VC) is the Secretary to the Council.The VC is also the Chief Executive Officer and has the overall responsibility for direction, organization and administration of the University programmes and is responsible to the University Council for the general conduct and discipline of both staff and students. The VC is assisted by the Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs; Deputy Vice Chancellor Finance, Planning and Administration and Deputy Vice Chancellor Co-operative Development, Research and Innovation
The University has four campuses namely:-
This is the seat of the University located along Ushirika Road in the serene environment of Karen, Nairobi. The campus is both residential and non-residential. It sits on a 50-acre piece of land.
The campus is located within Nairobi Central Business District in Ufundi Co-op Plaza (6th, 7th, 10th, and 11th floors) along Moi Avenue. Being at the City Centre, the campus is ideal for students on full time employment and non-residential students
The campus is located within Mombasa CBD in Jubilee Building (3rd Floor) along Moi Avenue. The campus is ideal for students on full time employment and non-residential students.
- Co-operation: The University will ensure teamwork through synergy to achieve its objectives
- Equity: In discharging its mandate the University will ensure that all its stakeholders are treated with fairness and justice.
- Integrity: Uphold strong ethical and moral principles in all decisions and actions.
- Professionalism: Ensure and maintain high standards in the discharge of responsibilities and delivery of services.
- Accountability: Demonstrate and take responsibility for all decisions and actions.
- Creativity and Innovation: Encourage generation and nurturing
MANDATE OF THE UNIVERSITY
CUK is a public institution that provides education and training with emphasis on Co-operative development. It provides consultancy and research services to the Co-operative sector and related economies. Specifically, CUK is mandated to execute the following functions:-
- To advance learning and knowledge through teaching, research and consultancy on all matters relating to cooperative development, community development, rural transformation, business studies, information and communication technology at national and international level;
- To provide directly, or in collaboration with other institutions of higher learning, facilities for University education (including vocational, professional and scientific education), the integration of teaching, research and effective application of knowledge and skills to the life, work and welfare of the citizens of Kenya;
- To participate in the discovery, transmission and preservation and enhancement of knowledge and to stimulate the intellectual participation of students in the economic, social cultural, scientific and technological development of Kenya;
- To provide and advance University education and training to appropriately qualified candidates, leading to the conferment of degrees and award of diplomas and certificates and such other qualifications as the Council and the Senate shall from time to time determine;
- To conduct examinations for such academic awards as may be provided in the Statutes pertaining to the University;
- To examine and make proposals for new faculties, schools, institutes, departments, resource and research centers, degree courses and subjects of study;
- To play a leading role in the development and expansion of the opportunities for higher education and research in agribusiness, Co-operatives and associative economy;
- To develop as an institution of excellence in teaching, training, scholarship, entrepreneurship, innovation, research and consultancy services;
- To participate in commercial ventures and other activities to the benefit of the institution, the community and stakeholders;
- To offer Co-operative education, research and training for various categories of personnel of the Co-operative movement, government Officers and general public to serve as a Centre of academic excellence in the Co-operative movement in the region;
- To develop and provide educational, cultural, professional, technical and vocational services to the community and in particular foster corporate social responsibility;
- To provide programmes, products and services in ways that reflects the principles of equity and social justice;
- To facilitate student mobility between different programmes at different training institutions, universities and industry; and
- To foster the general welfare of all staff and students.